2. A pearl's colour is determined by the inside of the shell where they are growing, ranging from white to gold and from purple to black.
3. Every pearl is unique. No two are alike and all have some imperfections.
4. Pearls are known to symbolize loyalty, faithfulness, friendship and elegance.
5. Many pearls have been passed down throughout generations, making excellent heirloom jewellery.
6. Once the pearl is harvested, it is possible to re-implant the mollusk, allowing it to make many pearls.
7. South Sea pearls are famous for their gold colours and Tahitian pearls are famous for their natural black colours.
8. Pearl was named the official birthstone for June in 1912 by the American National Association of Jewellers.
9. Nearly 95% of pearls harvested today are cultured or cultivated pearls.
10. The earliest known piece of pearl jewellery was found in the sarcophagus of a Persian Princess dating back to 520 BC.
To learn more about Pearls, Diamonds and any other Gemstones, contact your Professional Jeweller.